Things to do in the Miami area... during a tropical storm.

I am meeting my parents (both in their late 60s - early 70s, but fairly active) in Miami for the whole of next week. They're flying in from abroad and I am flying from California. We had plans to drive around the area a little bit and see the sights with not a lot of planning, but that was before Isaac came along. I haven't seen my parents in a while and it will be good to spend some time together, so I am not cancelling the trip. What are some good things to do in the Miami area in the wake of a tropical storm? We'll be staying in South Beach and we have a car. Tips of great restaurants, museums and (indoor?) activities are appreciated.
posted by gertzedek to Travel & Transportation around Miami, FL (5 answers total)

Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, The Barnacle, Versailles (restaurant), Vizcaya, SoBe streamline moderne architecture, qv all. Have fun.
posted by fivesavagepalms at 12:01 PM on August 23, 2012

As it stands right now I don't think you are going to have any significant problems in Miami from Isaac. The predicted storm track is being nudged further and further west, with less and less impact on Miami. Some meteorologists are now thinking that this storm may end up even further west out in the Gulf, completing bypassing all of Florida. Whatever does happen, it will make its closest pass to South Florida on Monday morning and then will be out of the picture by Tuesday morning. So I think you should be all set for the rest of the week. This is a good site to check in with to see the latest official forecast tracks for your planning purposes.
posted by Seymour Zamboni at 12:42 PM on August 23, 2012 [1 favorite]

Seymour Zamboni has it, I think. I'm in W.Palm and I'm expecting some feeder bands for Monday and Tuesday but clear from then on. Don't stress yet. Happy travels!
posted by PorcineWithMe at 12:46 PM on August 23, 2012

We spent five days in Florida a few weeks ago and had to dodge the effects of whichever one came through, don't remember the name. We had enough sunshine during the day, just a couple of hours, to enjoy the beachy stuff, and enough rain to really make this one a relaxing vacation. Do your parents play cards or board games? Would you enjoy writing or recording a family history? Cook special meals together? We also rented some movies that we all wanted to see. It was great, the most relaxing vacation we've had in a long time.
posted by raisingsand at 2:20 PM on August 23, 2012

Worst case scenario, the weather right after one of these storms is usually gorgeous.
posted by St. Alia of the Bunnies at 5:46 PM on August 23, 2012

« Older Android and Win7 compatible. T...   |  FOR WOMEN WHO GET EYELASH EXTE... Newer »