Vague description filter

What was this long essay about World War II that I read on the internet a few years ago?

Very long, reflective essay (probably ~50 print pages) by the son (grandson?) of a WW2 veteran about America's selective memory and organized forgetting of what happened during the war. Lots of discussion of the author's (grand?)father not speaking about his experience for decades, and his reluctance when he eventually started talking about it. I'm certain it opened by talking about a particular old tiger sculpture tchochke the author had in his house, although I can't remember how that related to the rest of the piece. I don't think it was from a magazine or blog, but posted on its own on the guy's website.
posted by theodolite to Writing & Language (2 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Losing the War
posted by Comrade_robot at 2:36 PM on August 21, 2012 [3 favorites]

Whoa that was fast.
posted by theodolite at 2:36 PM on August 21, 2012

« Older Replacement for Pixelsync?...   |  How do I hammer my brass instr... Newer »