Help me build (and paint) my perfect bicycle. Or get the next best thing. Or go with something cheap. In London.
I live in London, and want to get a new bike. I could gumtree it, but I don't want a stolen bike. I could ebay it (same problem). I could go to a second-hand store, freecycle it, or just go to my local bike shop and get something passable.
But I want my perfect
bike. Something I'll be...well, attracted to. I don't mean in a sexual way, I just mean that every time I look at it I'd like to take it out to dinner and a movie.
• A hybrid
• In my mind I see it as something with vintage values but a little more streamlined than the old fashioned bikes. I don't care how much it weighs (of course light is better, but whatever).
• Three gears on the back (an internal hub if possible), with only one on the front
• Calliper brakes
• Toe clips
• Bike rims that look like this
• A comfortable 'taint-friendly bike seat.
• Sturdy, long-lasting components.
Here's the most important part — I want as many or the components as possible to be the same colour
Now, I'm colour blind, so I shouldn't be the one who chooses the colour. But I'm thinking "vintage colours" if there is such a thing.
What are my options for repainting a bike? Can I repaint the components? Would I save a ton of money if I just went for an all-black bike, and chose all-black components? What about painting over the logos and branding on components? Spokes, chain, brake cables... can any of these be painted?
I reckon I can spare £1,200. If it's more, I'll just go with gumtree or go to a nice bike shop. Which leads me to my next question — anyone know a really friendly, warm bike shop who I should give my money to in London? I don't want to go with a chain store if I can help it, I'd rather a coop or somewhere that recycles bicycles. Somewhere that won't make me feel like a square.