Convert a route on a Google map into a list of directions

How can I convert a route on Google Maps into a list of directions?

This route from Munich to Venice is drawn as a route on Google Maps. I'd like to convert it into turn-by-turn directions. Is this possible? Or do I have to do it by hand?
posted by matthewr to Travel & Transportation (8 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Just use "get directions" and use Munich International Airport as the starting point and Venice as the end point (or vice versa) - unless I am not understanding this correctly? You can add the stops by right clicking on the route and choosing "add a destination."
posted by desjardins at 10:07 AM on August 20, 2012

This is a particular route, taking small roads for cycling.

I could construct it by hand by adding each waypoint -- but given it's several hundred km, that might take a long time, so I'm looking for an automated solution.
posted by matthewr at 10:12 AM on August 20, 2012

I think the problem is that the route you have is basically just lines drawn along roads, not a real route.
posted by JauntyFedora at 10:21 AM on August 20, 2012

It looks like the walking directions from Munich airport to Venice are a close starting point to work from.
posted by chazlarson at 10:27 AM on August 20, 2012

I tried to snag the route with GMapToGPX, but it's just a series of route points.
posted by scruss at 11:26 AM on August 20, 2012

I can think of a few ways to try to recreate a dynamic map, given a set of static route points, but I don't know of any implementations. Given the constraints of Google Maps' "via" routing (there's a limit to the number of destination/"via" points you can add to a route, but I forget what it is), I don't think there'd be a good generalizable solution. Certainly nothing that would be faster to implement than just following the route on the map yourself and making the cue sheet by hand.

If you have a gps, you can load the route in and follow along, but that still won't get you directions of the "turn left at the intersection of State and Main" type.
posted by hades at 3:01 PM on August 20, 2012

I tried converting the KML to GPX (which I guess is what scruss did, but with a different tool) and loading it into MapMyRide. The map appears fine but MapMyRide can't produce a cue sheet. I think you're going to have to trace this on a map yourself.
posted by Naiad at 6:56 PM on August 20, 2012

To clarify—MapMyRide normally produces a cue sheet from a mapped route (they call it "Notes/Directions"), but in this case, it just said "Notes could not be found for this route."
posted by Naiad at 7:00 PM on August 20, 2012

« Older Books/advice on how to let go ...   |  Do you find that the hassle of... Newer »