What is this type of chart called and/or how do you create one in Excel?

See this chart.
posted by tippiedog to Technology (8 answers total)

I know these as stacked column charts. See here for more information, about 1/3 down the page.
posted by lizzicide at 9:19 AM on August 17, 2012 [1 favorite]

It's called a stacked column, Excel has a bunch of wizards that will make it for you depending on your version. If it looks like a bunch of regular columns, just switch row/column for that dataset.
posted by jeather at 9:20 AM on August 17, 2012

That's a "3D Stacked Column chart" -- if you have 2007/10, just select your data and on the Insert Chart menu, select "Column", and then find the one that looks like that.

(It's not a super great way to display data though, if the relative values are actually important).
posted by brainmouse at 9:20 AM on August 17, 2012 [1 favorite]

it's a 3d stacked column chart that you should be able to create fairly easily in Excel
posted by larthegreat at 9:21 AM on August 17, 2012

@Brainmouse, I agree that it's not great, but that's what I've been asked to produce--actually, in a business intelligence reporting tool, but I figure if I can do it in Excel, that will help me figure out how to do it in my tool.
posted by tippiedog at 9:27 AM on August 17, 2012

Thanks, everyone. I can create it in Excel, but not (yet) in my BI tool.
posted by tippiedog at 9:40 AM on August 17, 2012

Chiming in a little late but to add to Brainmouse's comment - it's really not a good way to display the data - have you considered a 2-d version of the same thing? It would be easier to read while taking up less space!
posted by tkbarbarian at 10:06 AM on August 17, 2012

In defense of stacked column charts, they can be extremely useful when you have more than one stack and you want to compare the distributions.
posted by iamkimiam at 10:15 AM on August 17, 2012 [2 favorites]

« Older What breed are these puppies?...   |  How should I go about getting ... Newer »