What to do with large two-trunk tree in garden?

I have a large tree with two trunks in my garden. What should I do with them?

This is the tree

The tree has seen better days, but is still alive and well (we had it reduced a little while ago). I think the right choice is cutting it down or potentially making a use out of it. Make it into a bench? Art? Something else? or perhaps with some love it could be a tree that works for the garden?

Suggestions or advice please! Thank you in advance
posted by oliverst to Home & Garden (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I don't understand why you think it needs to be cut down, since you say it is alive and well?

Intact tree suggestion - make it into a giant catapult!
posted by Joh at 4:20 PM on August 14, 2012 [2 favorites]

Maybe more info on why you think it needs to be cut down would be helpful? It looks fine in the picture. Is it creating shade in an area where you want to grown sunny-preferring plants?
posted by rainbowbrite at 4:58 PM on August 14, 2012 [1 favorite]

What's wrong with using it for firewood?
posted by Chocolate Pickle at 5:33 PM on August 14, 2012

Bench? My idea is to notch the bench so that it interlocks with the remaining tree and is affixed on top of the stump.
posted by rhizome at 5:50 PM on August 14, 2012

Platform tree house
posted by Ideefixe at 6:25 PM on August 14, 2012 [1 favorite]

It sucks a lot of the nutrients from next doors garden and it does block some light in the evenings.... I think I'll find a way to turn it into a bench - I thought there may have been some feasible uses I had not thought of. Thank you all for your suggestions.
posted by oliverst at 2:22 AM on August 21, 2012

I have now completed it - photo attached. Just need to level and turf this area now.. Thanks all.

Bench
posted by oliverst at 3:47 AM on October 2, 2012 [1 favorite]

« Older My relative backed into my '09...   |  A little more than a month ago... Newer »