What's the best route from Orange County Airport to San Juan Capistrano during rush hour?

Specifically a Thursday at about 5pm. Google seems to think I should go up 55 to get on 5. 405 to 5 looks more direct. What about 73? I've only driven in the area a couple of times before so a need a commuting pro to help.
posted by dzot to Travel & Transportation around California (4 answers total)

Yes, take the 73 toll road, always. It's not cheap, but it will cut your time significantly.
posted by The World Famous at 10:30 AM on August 13, 2012 [1 favorite]

TAKE THE 73. Yes, it's $6.25 during rush hour, which means nobody takes it everyday and the only people on it are only passing through. It's so empty sometimes, you wonder if the world has ended and you won't find out until you get to the toll plaza.

The 405 is where all the locals are. All of them. All.

I round-trip to LA for the day once a month or so, and my GPS is weirdly convinced that I want to take the 73 going north but not going south, and so twice I have missed the exit. Its awful.
posted by Lyn Never at 10:45 AM on August 13, 2012 [1 favorite]

MacArthur to PCH would be better than the 405 to the 5.

But the best answer is the 73.
posted by notyou at 11:25 AM on August 13, 2012

73 it is. Thanks folks.
posted by dzot at 1:29 PM on August 13, 2012

« Older I was in Lisbon a few months a...   |  What's the least painful way t... Newer »