Tingling fingers and toes, difficulty taking hot baths or showers, cold limbs
August 13, 2012 9:14 AM Subscribe
Tingling fingers and toes in the morning, cold limbs, tiredness after a hot bath and shower. I have a bunch of symptoms that don't seem too unusual, but I still wonder if there is something wrong with me?
posted by josefk to health & fitness (14 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
I have some persistent symptoms that I have observed for a while now.
- In the morning my fingers and toes are tingly and weak. As in I would find it difficult to make a fist and I find it difficult to get up and start my day even when I've had enough sleep. My limbs just feel like they want to rest on the bed and not do anything.
- My limbs get cold easily. Especially if I am not wearing socks or sleeves, I've noticed that I get cold fast and in environments where others don't seem to be bothered.
- I find it difficult to take a hot bath for an extended period of time. I will get tired, hard of breathing, and a little dizzy. I've never been close to collapsing, but I consistently feel I need to rest after a bath and get my bearings.
- The above applies to hot showers too. Oftentimes after I take them, I feel like I want to lie down.
- Oftentimes, my blood pressure drops when I go from the crouching to the standing position.
I realize that these are symptoms that many healthy people experience. I think the frequency and severity of them might be key in telling whether there is something wrong deeper. I don't have a good sense whether my symptoms are more frequent and severe than others'. I experience them enough to make me wonder, and to make me want to do something about it, because they interfere with my functioning.
A friend of mine thinks my blood vessels might not be transporting blood to my body well enough, but that the only thing I can do is take lukewarm showers, not stay in the bath long, and wear socks. This is fine with me, but I want to make sure there isn't more I can do.
I am in my late twenties. I have gone to the doctor in the past and done a blood work-up and all but one of my stats are in norm. My LDL cholesterol is a little lower than it's supposed to be, which the doctor said could be due to diet or lack of exercise. I think that's possible. I am active -- I bike to work and school almost daily, and I practice martial arts -- but my diet isn't great. I am a vegetarian, but I eat a lot of fats (cheese), carbs and sugar. My iron is normal. I tried taking iron supplements anyway to see how it feels, but I got a rash, so I stopped. My blood pressure is pretty normal, including when they had me sit down and stand up, and lay on a table and stand up.
- What do you suggest I do to try and isolate better a potential problem? Change my diet a particular way? Measure my blood pressure and blood sugar levels a few times a day?
- What conditions could account for these symptoms? I have done some research, but haven't found something to jump out at me. Part of the reason is that I feel none of my symptoms are that severe, but combined they make me want to do something about them.
- Are there any other tests that I could reasonably ask my doctor to do? I don't want to needlessly make healthcare costs (for me or the hospital).