Know a lawyer in Mumbai?
August 12, 2012 9:59 AM Subscribe
Family law in Mumbai? Wondering if anyone has recommendations for lawyers practicing in Mumbai/Bombay... An older (60s) Indian couple I know appears to be heading for divorce, and I am trying to help the woman as best I can. Unfortunately, there are a number of complicating factors, and I do not personally know any lawyers in Mumbai, so I thought I would ask here. I realize it's a long shot, but it's worth a try...
posted by aramaic to Law & Government (4 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
A few salient elements:
- they are presently working in Riyadh
- she will be traveling to Mumbai in the very near future, so it's probably my best chance to hook her up with a lawyer in India.
- the man is not aware that she is preparing to leave him, although he may suspect it.
- for social reasons she may ultimately prefer to simply separate, but given his ... tendencies ... it would be nice if perhaps the lawyer were able to arrange some form of contractual separation that keeps him away from her.
- she has about 30 lakh set aside in an account under her own name (she can probably get more from acquaintances etc), so there's no need for this to be pro bono but as always affordability is still a concern given her impending forced retirement.
- she has resisted getting a lawyer thus far, on the premise that they can simply go their own ways. I have been arguing for caution, and thus a lawyer, but it may come to pass that she will refuse to hire whomever I find. Point being, this isn't guaranteed.