Gentle dentist in Albuquerque?

Please recommend a good, gentle, sedation-using dentist in the Albuquerque area.

I have a tooth that only hurts every so often now, but pretty soon it's going to be excruciating. I'd like to get the root canal before I'm drinking a fifth of whisky every six hours to kill the pain. Can anyone recommend a good general-practice dentist in ABQ who uses nitrous, prescribes mild relaxants like Valium, or both? (I did see a previous askme that mentioned a bus to Juarez, but I'd like to stay local if possible.) Thanks!
posted by Angharad to Health & Fitness (4 answers total)

I have a pretty good dentist, but no nitrous. A lot of people stopped using it because of the possibility of miscarriages, I was told. Memail me if you want contact information.
posted by annsunny at 8:05 PM on August 10, 2012

Sedation dentistry is not the same as nitrous oxide, and it's not a mild relaxant either.

Can you clarify what you are looking for? Also, are you looking for a standard dentist or an oral surgeon -- if you are sure you need a root canal some general dentists don't do those.
posted by yohko at 10:21 PM on August 10, 2012

Yohko - sorry, I could have been clearer. I'm looking for a general dentist, and all the ones I've met do perform root canals (but if one who didn't referred me to an oral surgeon, that'd be fine).

The best general dentist I ever saw, about ten years ago, would write me a prescription for one Valium. I'd take it the morning of the appointment, and he used nitrous during the appointment. The combination wiped out my fear and anxiety. That's what I would like to find.
posted by Angharad at 8:31 AM on August 11, 2012

Dental coward here; Ruben Martinez is fabulous.. he doesn't do nitrious, but he is fast, accurate, and is accustomed to cowards.

The only dentist I know of here that still uses nitrous is an oral surgeon; Williams, I think.

Hope that helps.
posted by answergrape at 3:25 PM on August 11, 2012

« Older Why does my new Airport Extrem...   |  Do you take or have experience... Newer »