Please help me transition from a 2004 desktop to a 2012 laptop
August 7, 2012 3:59 PM Subscribe
My parents just gave me a birthday cheque that I am supposed to use to buy a new computer. Yay! But I've never bought a brand new computer and would like some advice as to what I should buy and where.
posted by orange swan to computers & internet (24 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite
- I've got $500 to spend, can go a little higher but would like to keep it to that or less.
- I'd like a laptop.
- I don't need to do anything out of the ordinary with my computer, just use the net, do word processing, play DVDs/CDs, and connect my scanner, printer and digital camera as needed.
- I'm open to buying new or reconditioned.
- I'm currently using Windows XP and Microsoft Office 2003. I'm assuming I'll want to upgrade, but what OS and programs should I move to?
- What kind of security systems should I use? At present I have Symantec and run a full scan and check for updates once a week, which is working well. Will I be able to copy Symantec over to my new computer or must I/should I get some other kind of antivirus program?
Any advice? Suggestions? I really know very little about computers, so please go easy on the technical wording and/or scorn in your answers.