Other stories that could tie in to Pussy Riot

Contemporary Russian punk, protest, artistic, and musical climates in re: Pussy Riot detainment.

I'm writing an article about Pussy Riot and am trying to contextualize it within larger issues aside from just dwelling on the obvious sexism and censorship issues. I don't have a sense of what else has been happening there lately, so I was wondering if someone could point me to some links. I'm interested in other punk bands (especially all-male ones), other protests, the treatment of other artists, male or female, in any medium; any performance art that got press, and any other issue you see as related. I have a ton of notes for this piece but nothing shaping up yet.
posted by mermaidcafe to Media & Arts (3 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

I found this one interesting the other day:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/aug/03/pussy-riot-trial-russia

Basically, it bluntly points out that these girls have zero chance at a fair trial - Though the Guardian does tend towards over-the-top sensationalism.
posted by pla at 1:19 PM on August 4, 2012

Mother Jones has a decent summary (that's being updated daily). Warning: the sentence "The original cathedral was destroyed by Stalin in 1931 and rebuilt as a godless celebration of the state (later becoming the world's largest swimming pool), but it returned to its function as an Orthodox church in 1994" is gibberish from beginning to end and should be ignored.
posted by languagehat at 3:37 PM on August 4, 2012 [1 favorite]

Radio Free Europe's Power Vertical blog had this podcast episode recently: Fighting The Power -- Russia's Musical Uprising.
posted by Bektashi at 6:14 AM on August 5, 2012

« Older How should I prepare a leftove...   |  So, I'm trans, have a really h... Newer »