Goin' Down the Road
August 3, 2012 11:35 AM Subscribe
Moving from Ottawa to Toronto. I want to know more about the city I'm about to live in. Bonus question: How do I move my cat?
posted by Menomena to Travel & Transportation around Toronto, ON (20 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
I've wanted to live in Toronto for basically forever, and I'm finally taking the plunge. It's my first time moving cities, and while I've visited Toronto a few times I could use some help navigating the city. I have tons of questions for you torontonian mefites. Last question is for cat-owners who have moved cities.
I'm moving with my fiance and our cat to a nice condo in the Entertainment District (not my first choice for neighbourhoods, but the rental market is extremely tough right now). We live virtually next door to the Skydome. We're both transferring our jobs to Toronto. We are huge cinephiles and part-time film critics.
1. What are the best places to do groceries in the ED? I'm a big fan of cheap and affordable, which I know is probably nil in a yuppie-dense location. I've heard mixed things about the quality I can find in Kensington (and I know it's a bit of a trek to walk there and back) so I'm looking for specific grocery recommendations here (and what kind of stuff I can find). I am picky about produce, I'd like to know where to buy affordable vegetarian products, the best places for fresh meat, and the cheapest prices for Ritter's Sport Chocolate. ;) If you're going to recommend something outside my immediate zone, please tell me the best transportation options. We got no car.
2. Film -- yeah yeah, we're all set for TIFF and Lightbox memberships. But I know there is a great film culture outside of the TIFF Lightbox, and I'm looking to tap into it. I'm only vaguely familiar with the programming at the new Hot Docs cinema. I know there are other rep theatres but I don't really know their personality and programming so I'm looking for some opinions here. Bonus points if you can direct me to any cool film clubs and places for cinephiles.
3. I know parts of ED are sometimes called club land, and people are always complaining about the douchey nightlife in this area. Where should the fiance and I go when we want a drink and perhaps some delicious (though not necessarily fine) dining? We like cozy, hipstery, upscale, gastropub. If you're familiar with Ottawa, comparable spots would be Town, Oz Cafe, and the Manx (cc Jairus :)).
4. Related to #3: Good brunch places that are reasonably close to me?
5. I actually haven't been to most of Toronto's tourist traps. Never even been inside the CN Tower. There's a lot to visit, but given my interests (I'm more into fine arts, less into sports) what are the absolute must-see sites in my first few months?
6. What amazing place/thing/phenomenon did you discover in Toronto only recently, that you wish you'd known about when you first moved here?
7. Publications: Globe and Mail, National Post, Toronto Star, OpenFile Toronto, Toronto Life, The Grid, NOW, blog.to, Torontoist... Am I missing anything?
8. CAT ALERT. We're transporting my cat with us in the U-Haul. It's a five-hour drive. He's got a carrier, but I'd like to occasionally let him out in the truck. What's the best strategy to ensure his comfort? Should I set up a make-shift litterbox outside the carrier and perhaps line his carrier with towels, just in case? Is it safe to let him out of his carrier? He's very adventurous. He's never been inside a car for more than 45 minutes, so I'm a little nervous how he will handle it. Suggestions and tips for our mutual sanity are greatly appreciated.