Identifying a Half-Remembered Movie about Alternate Realities

Looking for a movie about alternate realities.

A friend of mine is remembering flashes of a movie she can't identify. She writes:

It's something where the star (evidently not Matt Damon or Brad Pitt, my first two vague guesses) is in a reality and then something makes it all like a dream and he shifts into a different one. Does this 3-4 times, and the resolution of the movie is that he/they (a beautiful girl too, of course) somehow have to resolve each one and thus return to the illusion before in order to get back to present time. One of the "realities" is an Arctic/frozen one. Another a French cafe. Does this ring any bell at all?
posted by not that girl to Media & Arts (16 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Inception?
posted by kimdog at 6:02 PM on August 2, 2012 [4 favorites]

It does sound like Inception (It was Leo DiCaprio) though she's got some of the details wrong. Not difficult with that film, of course.
posted by carolinecrane at 6:07 PM on August 2, 2012

90% sure it's Inception.
posted by gerryblog at 6:20 PM on August 2, 2012

An outside possibility: EXistenZ
posted by Paragon at 6:22 PM on August 2, 2012 [1 favorite]

Wild guess: The Thirteenth Floor
posted by unknowncommand at 6:25 PM on August 2, 2012 [1 favorite]

Also sounds a bit like Transition, a book by Iain M Banks.
posted by lulu68 at 6:29 PM on August 2, 2012

Big male lead, beautiful girl, multiple dream switching, frozen tundra and a French cafe? Totally Inception.
posted by Beardman at 6:36 PM on August 2, 2012

Yeah, it's Inception, but I'm just going to throw The Adjustment Bureau out there, though that is actually Matt Damon.
posted by Rock Steady at 6:45 PM on August 2, 2012

I mean, yeah, it sounds like Inception but that's sort of an odd movie for which one would have flashbacks of memory. It's extremely recent, was hugely talked about, and made a ton of money.

Long shot. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
posted by Justinian at 7:08 PM on August 2, 2012

An even longer shot (and okay I don't think there was snow in this one): Midnight in Paris?
posted by methroach at 7:12 PM on August 2, 2012

Sometimes people forget. Here's an example of someone asking about "Kill Bill" while it was still in theaters.
posted by Johnny Assay at 8:03 PM on August 2, 2012

It really sounds like Inception, but if it isn't, I'll throw Waking Life out there as a distant possibility.
posted by Metroid Baby at 8:08 PM on August 2, 2012

Allow me to pile on and say it's probably Inception, but as a really long shot, maybe it's Source Code?
posted by jcreigh at 9:33 PM on August 2, 2012

It may be The Butterfly Effect with Ashton Kutcher. Awesome movie!
posted by 3dd at 5:51 AM on August 3, 2012

I re-read the question, sounds a lot like Inception.
posted by 3dd at 11:51 AM on August 3, 2012

Thanks, folks, she says it is indeed Inception.
posted by not that girl at 7:00 AM on August 6, 2012

« Older Help me find a comic that was/...   |  Why does single malt scotch, b... Newer »