Windows Bootcamp issue

Macbook Pro with Windows 7 Bootcamp--Windows startup has vanished?

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro on which I am running Windows 7 using the Bootcamp utility. When I want to work on the Windows side of the partition, I hold down the ALT key on startup and the two drives appear, Windows and Mac, and I pick the one I want.

Except this morning, the Windows drive has disappeared as an option. I can see on the Mac side that the partition is still there and all the stuff I have on the C: drive is still there, but I have no way to get into the OS anymore. Any idea what happened or how to fix it?
posted by liketitanic to Computers & Internet (7 answers total)

Can you boot into it from System Preferences / Startup Disk?
posted by Chutzler at 7:43 AM on August 1, 2012

Nope. Says no bootable disk. Obviously I can go home and find the disk and boot from it, but I have a ton of proprietary software installed for work that I am assuming is now gone.
posted by liketitanic at 7:53 AM on August 1, 2012

Yeah, this is most likely a Bootloader issue (the gadget that lets you choose at startup), not an issue with your windows partition, which is probably fine.

I second Chutzler's suggestion, and offer spite for getting to it first. :^)
posted by Sunburnt at 7:53 AM on August 1, 2012 [1 favorite]

Dang.

Do you have another machine from which to access the drive directly, either through FireWire (with the Mac in Target Disc mode-- not sure whether this gives you access to both parititions) or by removing the HDD (lots of little screws and a PITA, I agree) and accessing with a SATA enclosure or direct SATA connection ?

Any machine that can read HFS should be able to see and recover the Windows side. Once you have the Windows side backed up, you could try running through Boot Camp again, but this time don't format anything, and then it tells you to insert the Windows install disc, don't do it, just reboot and perhaps it will boot from the Windows side.

Can you access the Windows Partition from OSX as a read-only disc?
posted by Sunburnt at 7:59 AM on August 1, 2012

I can get files from the windows drive.

No other machine :(
posted by liketitanic at 8:21 AM on August 1, 2012

If you have your Windows setup disk, I would boot from that into repair mode; see if it'll see the windows partition, and if so, see if you can repair the windows bootloader . I'm not sure it's the problem.

Another thing to try is install a different Mac Bootloader, like rEFIt.
posted by Sunburnt at 1:02 PM on August 1, 2012

The boot loader is the problem, or the Mac is--I couldn't even delete the partition to just reinstall the whole thing. Off to the Apple store.
posted by liketitanic at 1:14 PM on August 1, 2012

« Older Looking for fiction about ther...   |  Have wheelchair, will travel. ... Newer »