I like Chris Marker movies, especially Sans Soleil. What other movies would I like?

What other people have done stuff like Chris Marker's documentaries? Is there a movie anywhere that's even a little bit like Sans Soleil?
posted by insteadofapricots to Media & Arts (13 answers total) 12 users marked this as a favorite

Maybe some of Agn├Ęs Varda's documentaries, to some degree? They're so often spoken of in the same breath although their styles and personalities are very different.

I recall that in the notes for the Criterion reissue of Sans Soleil, Orson Welles' F for Fake is mentioned as an influence a few times.

Any more detail to share about what you liked about Sans Soleil and what else you've already seen?
posted by bcwinters at 7:30 AM on July 29, 2012

Sure. What I like about Sans Soleil, besides everything, is the combination of the very personal and the very exploratory -- the willingness to fondly chase after cats, and then right afterwards wax aphoristic about revolution and femininity, and then go right into road trip footage again. Also just the feel of it, the sound and the colour. I can smell certain shots in that movie.

I've seen and loved The Gleaners and I. Never seen F for Fake, that looks right on the money.
posted by insteadofapricots at 8:10 AM on July 29, 2012

I didn't like F for Fake as much, but I also love Marker. The kind of film, I believe, is known as an Essay film and there are a few on this list that are similar.
If you're into the more political nature of Marker, Grin without a Cat is definitely worth the investment.
posted by history is a weapon at 8:15 AM on July 29, 2012

You might enjoy "Divine Horsemen: The Living Gods of Haiti" by Maya Deren.
posted by Rube R. Nekker at 9:07 AM on July 29, 2012

I'm not sure if Sherman's March would fit the bill.
posted by cmoj at 12:12 PM on July 29, 2012

By the same director as Sherman's March: I think Time Indefinite is the better film.

You might like the freeness of David Holzman's Diary but reading anything about it first will definitely alter your first viewing. Not sure how Markerish I'd consider it (if at all), but for some reason it comes to mind.
posted by dobbs at 2:50 PM on July 29, 2012

Maybe I Am Cuba?
posted by dobbs at 2:51 PM on July 29, 2012

Lightning Over Water - Wim Wenders
posted by dydecker at 9:47 PM on July 29, 2012

Thanks guys. This has already given me a lot to watch and think about. Sadly -- maybe you've heard, Chris Marker died today. The fact that I posted this yesterday actually seems a little Markeresque. Which perhaps is a sign that I've seen too many of his movies. Or too few.
posted by insteadofapricots at 11:11 AM on July 30, 2012

It's been a long time since I saw both, but maybe Gambling, Gods and LSD?
posted by yellowbinder at 12:55 PM on July 30, 2012

Der Nebel (The Fog)
posted by wcfields at 3:09 PM on July 30, 2012

.
posted by Rube R. Nekker at 7:03 PM on July 30, 2012

Yes, do see the rest of Varda's stuff. And make sure you get the recent DVD's with all the extras--usually including little mini-documentaries where she revisits people and places from the film, etc. She's a charming lady who's had an interesting life and seems continually fascinated by people.
posted by bfields at 4:34 AM on July 31, 2012

« Older Based on your personal experie...   |  I am looking for information o... Newer »