Where should I live in San Francisco?
July 27, 2012 2:39 PM Subscribe
I will likely be moving from Australia to San Francisco to take a job soon. Which neighbourhood would be best for me personally to live?
More inside that might help you make a suggestion.
posted by jimwhimpey to Home & Garden (34 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite
This kind of thing is hard to find information about online while most residents of a city have an intuitive sense for it they can share.
Some rough details about what is and isn't important to me:
* It's very important that I live close to work and my commute is short, 15 minutes or less. My workplace will be in the Financial District.
* My huge preference for transportation is bicycle, followed in order by walking, train/tram and bus. Not car.
* Short ride/walk to a good fruit/veg store, grocery store and good places to eat out is important.
* Desirable to be close to good bars/night spots/entertainment venues but not necessary.
* Ideally an area where people are on the street day and evening, i.e. rarely a ghost town.
* Ideally populated people my age (20s) rather than families or oldies.
* I prefer older buildings with character over big sterile apartment buildings.
* No studios, 1 bedroom is good, small is fine.
* My budget is about $2400/month (realistic?)
* Trees and greenery would be great whether on the streets themselves or in nearby parks.
* I know it's unrealistic given my other points but a private garage would be fantastic.
Nothing is a concrete requirement, if there's an otherwise perfectly suited neighbourhood but it's a 20 minute train to the financial district I'd definitely be interested in that.
Ask if there's a question that might help make a better suggestion or if there's something important I've missed.