How much is 2 g of a NSAID gel?

Lost the dosing card for a prescription of Voltaren gel (diclofenac sodium 1%). How can I figure out how much to apply?

I have a tube of Voltaren Gel that was prescribed to me for tendonitis. I lost the carton it came in and apparently there was a dosing card that came with it that allows you to squeeze out the right amount to apply to your skin. ("The gel should be applied within the oblong area of the dosing card up to the 2 gram or 4 gram line (2 g for each elbow, wrist, or hand, and 4 g for each knee, ankle, or foot).") So I need to apply 2 g to my one hand but have no idea how to estimate. I'm looking for answers beyond "stop in at your local pharmacy to get a new card" since I really really want to use it now and don't have a pharmacy near me.
posted by otherwordlyglow to Health & Fitness (10 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Is this it?
posted by jabes at 1:04 PM on July 26, 2012

aw sorry that's just the instructions.
posted by jabes at 1:05 PM on July 26, 2012

I tossed the dosing card. I use the length of my index finger as a dose. I use a tiny bit more when that doesn't seem right.
posted by fluffy battle kitten at 1:05 PM on July 26, 2012

My doc gave me several sample tubes and suggested hitting the local pharma for the dosing card. Local pharma would not give me one.
posted by k5.user at 1:09 PM on July 26, 2012

I used about what fluffy battle kitten used - roughly an amount the length of my index finger. This was for ankle tendonitis, so I'm assuming that was roughly 4g, so maybe use a little more than half that. (YMMV especially if you have giant fingers or something)
posted by bedhead at 1:10 PM on July 26, 2012

Got a dosing card right here. A 2g dose is 2.25 in long, 4g is 4.5 in.
Just squirt the stuff out so the width of the squirt is about the same as the end of the tube.
posted by drhydro at 1:14 PM on July 26, 2012 [1 favorite]

Thanks drhydro! I'm not super concerned about being exact but this at least gives me a ballpark.
posted by otherwordlyglow at 1:19 PM on July 26, 2012

And sheesh, that's a lot more than I expected!
posted by otherwordlyglow at 1:20 PM on July 26, 2012

Never knew there was a dosing card. I was just told to apply it several times a day as if quantities didn't matter.
posted by Obscure Reference at 1:23 PM on July 26, 2012

FYI: Voltaren gel is OTC in Canada. In case you know anybody who might be traveling.
posted by workerant at 3:00 PM on July 26, 2012

« Older Is there a good alternative to...   |  The California law regarding F... Newer »