How can I export wordpress to txt files (one entry one txt)?

I have been using wordpress as a journal tool and have around 2000 posts by now. And then I decided to use some off-line tools to replace the wordpress-powered blog.

Now I need to export my entire wordpress blog to a batch of txt files, i.e. one entry one text file so that I can import them to GS Notes (the offline tool I choose and bought).

Is there any easy way to do the task?

Additional information: there is no comment/picture for any of the posts. Just simple texts are there.
posted by yezimary to Computers & Internet (3 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

You can export your whole blog using Tools > Export and get an xml file. You can use various tools to parse that down into something like that.

I have a hard time believing you only want text files. I expect you'll want dates and titles of some kind. And regardless in 2000 posts you may still have html in there - does GS Notes include support for HTML?

From what little documentation I could find, I'm wondering if you could just feed GS Notes a list of URLs for all your posts and have it import each.

Another approach might be to use something like lynx --dump to script crawling your site and saving each file.

Sorry my answer is so disjointed, but a blog export to a structured data format really needs to be done with a lot of forethought and testing of some sample data. I've been burned with blog exports and imports that were done without that forethought.
posted by artlung at 8:23 PM on July 23, 2012 [1 favorite]

There is also a plugin that converts your wordpress entries into a big Excel file: Export to Text. You can then use a little bit of Excel Macro Stuff to get what you need.

You will have to edit the Excel first in order to delete all not needed columns.
posted by KMB at 3:37 AM on July 24, 2012 [1 favorite]

@KMB, thanks a lot. That works. Excel VBA is amazing.
posted by yezimary at 7:49 PM on July 24, 2012

« Older My friend, Ann, is a married w...   |  Every Sunday I go to the green... Newer »