Stop Looking at Me, Me!

Is there any program that can prevent one from searching for specific terms in Google?

Recently something happened to me and there is news being posted about me on the internet. I have a (perhaps understandable yet annoying) curiosity about the reports and have been Googling myself too much. I would like to stop doing that altogether but need some help. I can't block Google altogether (I have other work to do!) but is there some program that can block specific searches within Google ( my name!)? I haven't been able to find anything like that and I wonder if you know of anything. Thanks!

(I don't need any moral help, just technical help...)
posted by Clotilde to Computers & Internet (3 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

If you use Chrome, you can use Nanny for Google Chrome with a regular expression. From the documentation:

11. Can I block certain patterns of URLs ?
A sample scenario is this : I want to block all Google searches for games but other queries are ok. Yes, you can do it by having a blocked URL as "google.com/search.*games" .
posted by aphorist at 6:46 PM on July 23, 2012 [1 favorite]

Thanks! Perfect.
posted by Clotilde at 7:57 PM on July 23, 2012

In the end, that didn't work for me. I played around with it a bit. But the program StayFocused is working great.
posted by Clotilde at 3:07 AM on July 25, 2012

« Older How do we get unstuck -- by st...   |  Help me find a flash game wher... Newer »