How do you find followed Pinterest boards again?

I have a dumb Pinterest question. When I follow an individual board, how do I find that board again?

So you know how, on Pinterest, you can follow an individual board, as opposed to a Pinterest user? Say you click "follow" on some person's PANTS FOR SMALL DOGS board. How do I find that board again?

When I click on "boards" and then "following", instead of seeing the individual boards I've followed, I just see the name of whatever Pinterest user created them. So instead of seeing PANTS FOR SMALL DOGS, I see JANE SMITH, and when I click on that, I have to scroll through all of her many boards that are not relevant to my interests, and I may have forgotten who had the dog-pants board to begin with, or even that I followed such a board. And if the dog-pants board isn't being updated anymore, it also won't appear in the feed to jog my memory. So it may be lost to all time. Tragedy!

How do people do this? Do I have to bookmark each board I'm interested in separately? Surely I am overlooking some kind of very obvious within-Pinterest solution? Help!
posted by thehmsbeagle to Computers & Internet (7 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

You may have already noticed this, and it is by no means the elegant solution you're looking for, but... on the "following" page, if you've only followed a user's individual board, you'll see the "Follow" button next to their name. If you're following a user (all boards), you'll see the gray "Unfollow" button. So that should help narrow things down. Then if you click on a user, you'll see the same thing-- gray "Unfollow" button beneath the individual board you follow, "Follow" buttons beneath the rest.
posted by acidic at 11:09 PM on July 19, 2012

If you do remember the name of the board, i.e. PANTS FOR SMALL DOGS , you can also search for it in the search bar ( you can search by people, pins, or boards ).
The best way for me to remember where a specific pin came from is to repin it in my own board. Then i can easily find that specific pin again within my own organization of boards. If you click on that individual pin, at the bottom it will show you from which board and user it originally came from ( along with who re-pinned it from you etc...).
So not a direct reverse-search solution for you if you haven't repined any PANTS FOR SMALL DOGS picture to your own boards, but maybe a fix for the future...
posted by PardonMyFrench at 1:10 AM on July 20, 2012

And it's a great question! I too am flummoxed by some very basic search issues on Pinterest.
posted by thinkpiece at 4:14 AM on July 20, 2012

I agree this is a great question. as far as I can tell, there isn't a simple way to go back and flip through a list of all the boards/members you've followed. it seems so basic, I just don't get it.
posted by changeling at 7:38 AM on July 20, 2012

Under your name, there's a link with a number of people following you, and a number of people you follow. If you click on the number of people you follow, it will take you to a list page.
posted by S'Tella Fabula at 8:43 AM on July 20, 2012

It looks like acidic has the best solution that I can see, and I use it all of the time.

I do want to point out that people often rename their boards, especially when they get huge. I know I've split my boards up into different categories... Crafts becomes Paper Crafts, Sewing Crafts, Holiday Crafts etc... This means they'll rearrange their pins to other boards, so you may not find what you're looking for when you go back. So searching by name isn't always feasible, and PardonMyFrench's idea to pin something from the board you love is a good idea to keep up with the changes.
posted by patheral at 9:27 AM on July 20, 2012

Thanks, guys! I'm glad to know it's not just me (although I am now even more befuddled that the Pinterest team hasn't come up with a better way to do this.)

I combined acidic's and PardonMyFrench's approaches, and started a board specifically for tracking other boards, to which I then repin something from that board. It's kind of clunky, but better than I was doing before. Thanks for helping me figure out a workaround!
posted by thehmsbeagle at 3:28 PM on July 20, 2012

« Older Pedicure in Washington DC. I'm...   |  If feasible, how do you move t... Newer »