Rent or not rent? Decisions, decisions.
July 19, 2012 9:50 PM Subscribe
How to move past my uncertainties and come to a decision, and fast?
posted by dubious_dude to Home & Garden (27 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
I'm at an impasse at this point. I'm still living with the same roommates from my previous posts; we've been able to maintain a (mostly) amiable relationship after what happened, with a few bumps. Zee is moving to a house a bit out of the way, offered me a room, but I'm not going. I really feel it's the best for us that I cut our roommate relationship off when we move out in August, and move forward.
I was offered an open-space basement 'living' room by a friend of mine at a house close to where I'm living; very convenient to a bus stop I frequent. This house is modern, very nice and clean, and has the latest conveniences - laundry, AC, you name it. The problem? I'll be sharing an open spaced basement 'living room' with another guy who I don't know well, and there will be no privacy. I won't get a proper room to myself. That's what is holding me back, as well as the head of the house's insistence that subletting is expressly forbidden and not permitted; no expectations. The lease will be for a year. I am a very private person, and sharing a living room with someone is definitely giving me major pause. I don't know if I'm ready for that.
Complication: the guys living in that house (six in total, including me if I do move there) are mostly my friends, guys I've known from school. I want to live with them, but the guy living in the basement with me is not a guy I know too well, nor is he well-liked by some of my other friends.
I'm at an impossible point to make a decision, because on one hand the house is really nice, clean, modern, airy, you name it. It's $500 (I managed to negotiate down to $475). It's convenient to the bus stop. On the other hand, $475 is a bit steep, especially for an open-space basement living room. I can always add a Chinese wall (they don't want curtains tacked to the wall), but it still won't be the same, especially with another roommate walking past me from his room in the basement. I can't wrap my head around living like that for a whole year, let alone not being able to sublet. I'm kind of a 'free spirit', and $475 seems so steep. ON THE OTHER HAND (again!), it's a very nice house, and I love the atmosphere there. Decisions, decisions! I'm a naturally indecisive person (one of my major flaws), so that only adds to the difficulty I'm experiencing.
I'm not asking the Green to make the decision for me. I'm just really unsure how to proceed and make a decision. They want to know NOW, as in last night, but I managed to buy a bit more time. I'm really torn, and I don't know if I'm being overly unreasonable or stubborn or picky, or if my thoughts are valid. I'm lucky they took the rent down by $25, but it's still a bit steep in my mind... however time is running out and I'm having no luck finding another place! Hence, my dilemma.