How do I find a job in IT/Web with lots of experience before I graduate in may?
July 17, 2012 10:01 PM Subscribe
I am graduating next May (2013) with a Bachelors of Science in Applied Computing Technology from Colorado State University. I have 3 years IT & Network Support experience and just about 2.5 years web development experience through Student positions. I've done the whole freelance thing for the last 5 years as a Wordpress theme guy. How do I approach getting a full time job after college?
posted by snow_mac to work & money (9 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
My main interests are:
1. Web Development (lots of jQuery, PHP & Coldfusion)
2. Mobile Development (No experience)
4. Distributed software engineering (no experience)
5. Parellel Programming
Beyond course work my internships entirely consisted of web development, I've done lots with OOP and MVC (building a CMS for the USDA), YII, Coldfusion etc... but I am not sure how I can tailor that to applying for jobs.
My main questions are:
1. How do I find a job before I graduate that will start after I graduate?
2. I'm going on a fantastic honeymoon, and won't be able to start for 1 month after graduation. Will this be a problem? Graduation is around May 10, I won't be able to start until after June 10. Will most employer's care?
3. When do I start applying for jobs?
4. I have lots of experience, lots of people have told me to come talk to them at the career fair when I'm ready to graduate--How do I sell myself to them?
5. I'm looking at Continental United States, but will prioritize companies in Arizona (Phoenix area), Colorado (anywhere), Dallas or Austin or somewhere without beaches or snow. What's the job market like for Web Developers across the country?
6. How hard will it be for me to get a job given 6 years IT/Web experience + a 4 year degree @ 23?
Any tips or advice is greatly welcomed (other then, don't married so soon).