Seeking Travel Tips for the Resplendent Island (Sri Lanka)
July 12, 2012 11:57 PM Subscribe
I'm looking for vacation tips for a trip to Sri Lanka.
posted by syzygy to travel & transportation around Sri Lanka (9 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite
My girlfriend and I have tentatively decided to travel to Sri Lanka for three weeks or so this year. We'd looked at the Maldives, but were concerned that, while idyllic, a 100% beach vacation might grow a little boring after a couple of weeks.
I asked a family member who's traveled extensively in that part of the world, and he confirmed my concerns about the Maldives. He recommended Sri Lanka as a good alternative with beautiful beaches and a bit of culture.
It will just be the two of us traveling. This will hopefully be our last childless holiday.
Some things we're looking for / considering:
- The beach is important. We will want to spend time swimming and snorkeling at the beach. I've read that the waters can become dangerously rough in the rainy seasons, so we want to avoid that. We're considering traveling in September or October, but not sure what to expect, weather-wise. I've read up a bit on the seasons there, but still not sure how this time of year will be.
- The location should be reasonably civilized and within walking distance of the beach. Whereas I'm a bit of an adventure traveler for whom spending a few nights in a hammock stretched between two trees deep in the Amazon jungle isn't a problem, she's not quite to that level (yet). She also doesn't require a 5-star hotel, although a luxury hotel might be nice for a few nights. I'm interested in apartments and villas for rent - something with a kitchen and living room, at least. A pool would also be excellent for those times when we want to swim without going in the saltwater. Her main concern with this idea is that she doesn't want to be in the middle of nowhere, totally cut off from civilization.
- As far as price, I'd love to stay as cheaply as possible. We have a good budget for the trip, but I understand that it's possible to find very nice accommodations at excellent prices in Sri Lanka. I'd prefer to save our budget for activities, and maybe even come home with a bit left over :-)
- What's it like, in terms of safety, for tourists visiting Sri Lanka?
- Are there any must-see attractions we should plan on visiting? I've heard that a visit to a tea plantation can make a nice excursion away from the beach. I'm into travel photography, so I'm keen on checking out local culture and finding photo opportunities.
- Would it be worth it to take the ferry to India to stay a couple of nights?
Thanks in advance!