If that ain't Lake Minnetonka in "Purple Rain," which lake is it?

In 1984's "Purple Rain," Prince famously tells Apollonia to purify herself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka. They're standing by a lake, so she jumps in, and only then does he tell her "That ain't Lake Minnetonka." I believe it's not--I'm a native Twin Citian and Lake Minnetonka is huge and ritzy. But my question is: What lake IS it? Another Twin Cities lake? Something in L.A.? A soundstage pool? (Unlikely!) Does anyone have the definitive answer. You can watch the scene here, NSFW because she's topless.
posted by GaelFC to Media & Arts (5 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

One internet source (which I won't link to because the forums kept running crazy scripts) said that a) it was actually filmed in two places and b) that part was somewhere in Eagan Township.
posted by Madamina at 9:03 AM on July 10, 2012

In some of the wider shots it looks a lot more like a river than a lake.
posted by sanka at 10:17 AM on July 10, 2012

Maybe this map will help. It would seem to indicate it *was* Lake Minnetonka, but hard to tell. His Purple Badness had a house on Lake Minnetonka at the time from what I understand. Probably easy to shoot on one's own property.

It is definitely in Minnesota, as the actress playing Apollonia had a hypothermic scare after shooting the scene a number of times. I doubt hypothermia would happen in LA!
posted by kuppajava at 10:29 AM on July 10, 2012

I reminds me of part of the vermillion river near Hastings. But, it could easily be someplace else as well
posted by zombieApoc at 10:51 AM on July 10, 2012

I don't have the definitive answer but that looks way more like Minnesota than California to me (I'm a SoCal native living in NoDak so I get the two climates). Also I think his motorcycle plates are Minnesota. As for which lake, sorry. You people have way too many!
posted by librarylis at 9:23 PM on July 10, 2012

« Older Has anyone ever paid to have a...   |   Unfortunately the beautiful i... Newer »