July 7, 2012 3:31 PM Subscribe
I'm considering making some mayonnaise with bacon grease. I'd love some input on the idea.
posted by kavasa to food & drink (14 answers total) 13 users marked this as a favorite
My concerns/thoughts are as follows:
1) Should I use the grease for 100% of the oil, or some fraction?
2) If a fraction, what should the other oil be?
3) Obviously I'll make a bunch of bacon getting the grease. Should I use that bacon in that same meal or save it for something else? If I use it with the meal, what do do with it?
4) My inclination would be to make some kind of burgers to go with the mayo, any other ideas?
5) Finally, my plan is to just run the bacon grease through a paper coffee filter before using it in the mayo process. That should work, right?