Join 3,556 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

Tags:

Bug Identification
July 2, 2012 8:03 PM   Subscribe

Bug Identification: What kind of bugs are these? Mystery Bug A (1, 2, 3) is about an inch long from end to antennae, made a hissy/clicky noise, and bit me. Mystery Bug B are small skittery bugs that prefer cool, dark, and damp spots. I live in a southeastern Manitoba, Canada, which is classified as a humid continental climate, if that helps.
posted by Alvy Ampersand to Science & Nature (4 answers total)

Bug B looks like a woodlouse from that photo - about how large are they?
posted by Paragon at 8:11 PM on July 2, 2012 [1 favorite]

Bug B vary in size, but I'd say between 0.5cm - 1cm. They sort of remind me of fat, stubby silverfish. (Sorry about the crap photo, btw). I'm pretty sure you're right on the ID; they're also called sowbugs, and that's definitely ringing a bell for me.
posted by Alvy Ampersand at 8:19 PM on July 2, 2012

Bug A is some kind of assassin bug, possibly a masked hunter (Reduvius personatus).
posted by Nomyte at 8:40 PM on July 2, 2012 [1 favorite]

Wiki's description syncs up pretty well - and it lists woodlouse as prey, which makes sense. Very relieved to read they aren't venomous, as it may have taken a nip out of my cat before I got hold of it. Never heard of them before, fantastic name.

Thanks so much!
posted by Alvy Ampersand at 8:51 PM on July 2, 2012

« Older My Samsung Galaxy S2 phone is ...   |  NYC Shopping-Filter. Where can... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.