Join 3,438 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

Finding Good CBT
June 29, 2012 1:07 PM   Subscribe

Looking into CBT for acrophobia. What do I need to know to evaluate practitioners and get the most out of this?
posted by bfranklin to Health & Fitness (2 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Specific phobias (like acrophobia) respond very well to behaviorally-based treatments. I would look for someone who practices CBT or BT. Ask about how comfortable they are with behavior therapy, how many sessions they would typically give for this type of discrete fear (they should say something in the range of 10-12, IMO). You should ask them what sort of exposures they would have you do (look for specifics here, to show that they've done this before. If they claim to use no exposure, walk away).
posted by Bebo at 2:03 PM on June 29, 2012

The best evaluation practice would be to meet the providers and see how you feel about working with them. The primary issue is not necessarily their CBT background, but the fit between you and the therapist.

In the exposure exercises, the therapist will likely be asking you to confront situations which currently make you feel anxious. It's really important that you trust him or her if you're going to be able to take the risks that he or she will be inviting you to take.

So, during an initial meeting, ask your hardest questions, including the excellent list suggested above by Bebo, and then see how you feel about the answers.

Also, remember that once you choose someone, you're not stuck with him or her forever. If you start working with someone, and you're not feeling that it's working for you in the first month or two, raise your concerns. If you're not convinced by the therapist's answers, move on.
posted by jasper411 at 3:24 PM on June 29, 2012

« Older Can anybody confirm for me tha...   |  Would very much appreciate rec... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.