You're sheeting me.
June 27, 2012 9:10 AM Subscribe
Please recommend me some bedding (specifically, a sheet set)!
My husband and I need new sheets!
When we first moved in together, in a romantic daze, we purchased shockingly expensive bamboo sheets from a local fancy home goods store. We figured it was our first joint home investment, the shop owner was very convincing (and very nice, and has sold us many other, successful items!), but these sheets are THE WORST.
After the first couple of washes, the ivory color became kind of yellowed. They get sweaty and sticky very easily. And after about a year of use, the flat sheet tore in the wash.
We use a nice flannel set during the winter, but we need something cool, soft and comfortable during the summer.
My favorite sheets ever were the ones I purchased for college at Linens 'n Things in 2003. They were (if memory serves me) 100% cotton and maybe 400 thread count? But I can't remember the brand, I think the tags are gone (they live with my parents now), and Linens 'n Things died! Well, they still have a store online, but none of the sheet brands there look familiar.
I just tore myself away from the cesspool of Amazon reviews and have come to the safe haven of AskMe. Here are my actual questions for you:
1. Does bamboo always do this? Wear terribly? We washed & dried them regularly (usually every 2 weeks), but we kind of need to do that, and the laundromat's washer & dryer are pretty harsh!
2. Can you recommend a brand (as in, one you have used or slept on) that meets the following requirements?
- 100% cotton
- medium thread count (300-400)
- NOT SATEEN. I think it's gross.
- long wearing (like, years!)
- white or ivory
- queen size
- relatively deep fitted sheet
- available on Amazon? Organic? These two are just preferred, not required. And probably mutually exclusive.
3. I guess, given that we'd like durable, but white, sheets, we need some stain removal tips? Right now I occasionally use peroxide (rather than chlorine) bleach.