Searching for an old drive in and motel in southern Ontario.

Looking for 2 film-shoot locations anywhere in southern Ontario: an old (ideally, abandoned) drive-in theater and a small shabby motel.
posted by davebush to Media & Arts (10 answers total)

North York Drive-In.
posted by timsteil at 6:21 AM on June 27, 2012

Drive ins are outside Guelph and Oakville (both still operating). There is a shabby motel in Campbellville (rural) and a few in Brampton (used to be rural, now in busy intersections so would need careful framing like the 7&7 motel and Flowertown. Flowertown is scuzzier, look on google maps at the northwest corner of hurontario and Bovaird.
posted by saucysault at 6:25 AM on June 27, 2012

Starlite Drive-In in Hamilton.
posted by smitt at 6:48 AM on June 27, 2012 [1 favorite]

And I drove past an abandoned one on my way up highway 6 to Tobermory a few weeks back, but I don't know if I could tell you where along 6 it was. Looked like it'd be out of operation for decades. I think it was near Owen Sound, but even that's a bit of a stab in the dark.
posted by smitt at 6:49 AM on June 27, 2012

You could take the excellent Starlite and mix it in with the infamous City Motor Hotel and blam, you're done.
posted by the dief at 6:51 AM on June 27, 2012 [1 favorite]

I just found this site that might help your search for an abandoned drive in. It is a drive-in theatre database, which allows searches based on status (open/closed). The parameters are by state/country, so I have linked to all of Canada here, since Ontario can't be searched specifically, but all the results include province in the description.
posted by to recite so charmingly at 8:14 AM on June 27, 2012

In terms of pure motel cheese, Kingston Road in Scarborough east of Brimley brings it. Closer to home, there's a number of astonishingly awful looking motels between Dunnville and Port Colborne.
posted by scruss at 8:40 AM on June 27, 2012

There's a small drive in at the edge of Hanover Ontario, but it's still running.
posted by nerhael at 10:41 AM on June 27, 2012

Which metro area are you close to?
posted by supercoollady at 11:28 AM on June 27, 2012

There's a drive-in up near Grand Bend. Also one in London if you're inclined to be in that general south-west area.
posted by pised at 2:31 PM on June 27, 2012

« Older What are the best multi-functi...   |  Thinking of taking a day trip ... Newer »