A cheap, relaxing week in August in Italy
June 25, 2012 2:11 PM Subscribe
I'm looking for a cheap, relaxing place to do very little (maybe sightsee a bit, eat, nap, take photos, etc), in northern Italy or Sicily, for a week in August (say, the 8th to the 15th). Total expenditure under €500 for the week would be awesome. Details within...
posted by mdonley to travel & transportation around Italy (2 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
The week in question is at the end of a one-month period between the end of a job in one country and the start of a job in another without a home to head back to in between.
I'll be in Italy the week before (Venice and Florence at least, with some friends) and will be coming off a six-week job in the Middle East before leaving for a new job in East Asia around August 15-20.
Some useful information:
- I need a place where I can leave my things for a week - I have multiple bulky suitcases carrying a lot of vital stuff I cannot leave anywhere else or ship onwards
- Laundry included/easy/in the building would be great as I don't have that many clothes
- I'd love proximity to an airport that British Airways or Air Berlin fly to (this is most of Italy, happily)
- I wouldn't say no to a beach
- I wouldn't mind 40°C days but 25°-30°C days seem so much nicer, no?
- I can rent a (cheap!) car if necessary
- I'm happy to cook for myself
- I've got ancestral roots in Randazzo, near Catania in Sicily, and it'd be cool to see the town
- I'm happy with cities or middle-of-nowhere countryside!
- Couchsurfing seems like a lot for a week, especially as I've never hosted, and I'd worry about all my stuff.
Any ideas? Private rooms in hostels? Campsite cabin things? Dorms/monasteries? I'm really open to anything that is cheap and cheerful and has a lock on the door.
Specific recommendations like "stay at this place, here's their website" are very welcome! I need to have this sorted soon...