ADoes anyone know what the lyrics are to the Pearl and the Beard song "Donny and Johnny"?

Does anyone know what the lyrics are to the Pearl and the Beard song "Donny and Johnny"?

My wife and I are the sort of people who like to sing along to songs, but we like to do it with as much accuracy as possible.
In April we went to an Ingrid Michealson concert and fell in love with the group that opened for her, Pearl and the Beard.
The issue is that they don't have any written record of their lyrics that I have been able to find.
What I am wondering is if there are any fans out there who have taken the time to hash out what the opening lines are of the song "Donny and Johnny" , from their album God bless your early soul, Amanda Richardson?
posted by Glambie to Media & Arts (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

If nothing else, maybe you could try e-mailing them at their fan mail address: fanmail@pearlandthebeard.com. One of my favorite local independent bands had this song whose lyrics I could not discern for the life of me, and they sent me a copy of their lyrics when I e-mailed asking about them.
posted by dean_deen at 8:08 PM on June 19, 2012

Oh man. I love this band and I own all their CDs, but they're at home in New Jersey. I'll email my folks and see if they'll email me a copy of the liner notes (if there are in fact liner notes; I can't quite remember if they exist).

Their record label, Family Records, is very responsive and friendly. They might be able to help you too.

I'm so jealous you got to see them with Ingrid! I saw them a few years ago when they were in my area and they were so great.
posted by topoisomerase at 9:06 PM on June 19, 2012

Donny and Johnny

Bastardo rainy day! Eh, Sancho Panza?

Reflecting on the way… this ape's old armor.

And they say that come summer Coney Island's gone.

They're putting up condos where the Wonder Wheel was.

And I wonder if anything is sacred now

That poor old Johnny Cash's house burned down.

Bright morning and the green sea.

Giant windmills and a safe city.

Mighty castle and a tired steed.

Mirrored shovel used to bury me.

The day that Johnny Cash's house burned down

I was folding the laundry when I found out.

The washers and dryers still turned round and round

Even though old Johnny Cash's house burned down.

They'll bring in more tourists with a new water park.

And I wonder if anything's worth saving now

Bright morning and the green sea.

Giant windmills and a safe city.

Mighty castle and a tired steed.

Mirrored shovel used to bury me.

I had run a few errands on the south side of town.

And just four months prior we had lost James Brown.

It was sunny when Johnny Cash's house burned down.
posted by SassHat at 3:12 PM on June 20, 2012 [1 favorite]

I messaged the group on their Facebook page and Jeremy from the group wrote me back right away with the lyrics.

I saw these guys open here in Toronto for Ani DiFranco and they were amazing. And now, they are even more so!
posted by SassHat at 3:16 PM on June 20, 2012 [1 favorite]

cool, thanks so much.

I couldn't wrap my head around the

"Bastardo rainy day! Eh, Sancho Panza?

… this ape's old armor." part

I think we looked at each other 100 times questioning what it could possibly be other than this ape's old armor.

I guess context helps.

I also don't know why it never occurred to me to just go to the source.

very pleased.
posted by Glambie at 8:09 PM on June 20, 2012

« Older Neighbor questions-How much is...   |  Random plant in the garden: We... Newer »