Mom stop it now.

What psychological malady did Edith Ewing Bouvier Beale, of Grey Gardens fame, suffer?

I am not looking for a "well, she was just nuts" answer. Can tell me what she suffered from? She reminds me of my late mother in a very uncomfortable way. I am nothing like Little Edie. But my mother was a dead ringer for Big Edie, except for the mansion. What was the mental illness that took hold of this woman?
posted by fifilaru to Health & Fitness (8 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Previously.
posted by Melismata at 8:52 PM on June 18, 2012

I think you mean 'psychological malady'.
posted by jacalata at 11:08 PM on June 18, 2012 [1 favorite]

Triple
posted by no regrets, coyote at 11:23 PM on June 18, 2012

One psychiatrist's comments on the films.
posted by Sidhedevil at 11:29 PM on June 18, 2012

Another psychologist suggests the behaviors documented in the films are consonant with "Diogenes Syndrome", among other issues.
posted by Sidhedevil at 11:34 PM on June 18, 2012

yes, malady, damn you auto correct.
posted by fifilaru at 11:43 PM on June 18, 2012

There is a psychology textbook on GoogleBooks that I can't link due to iPad that describes the elder Edie as having paranoid ideation and agoraphobia. It's called Mental Health and Social Problems by Heller and Gitterman.
posted by Sidhedevil at 11:47 PM on June 18, 2012

[fixed the "malady" typo]
posted by taz at 2:19 AM on June 19, 2012

« Older What's the opposite of someone...   |  I know how to cook from scratc... Newer »