The mystery of the illegal church!
June 16, 2012 3:21 PM Subscribe
The building I live in is host to an illegal church. Help me figure out what kind it is!
posted by whitneyarner to Society & Culture (15 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
So, before I moved in to my new apartment, I checked the building out on New York's Department of Buildings site to see if there were any major issues with the building. The primary complaints were about broken elevators, a standard for an old building in Brooklyn, but most interestingly was the repeated complaint that someone is running an illegal church on Saturdays on the sixth floor.
Sure enough, once I moved in, Saturday early evening came around and I could hear it. It does not bother me at all and I have no complaints about it, but it sounds interesting and I want to identify what's going on up there!
* My neighborhood is primarily Caribbean and West African
* The service starts with a lot of bell ringing, and there is some bell ringing throughout
* There are drums
* There is chanting, not in English, though I can't determine what language it is in.
* Some of the chanting involves ALLELUJAs
* Starts around 5-ish on Saturdays
Any ideas? I mean, I know the obvious solution is to go up there and go, hey guys, what's going on? But who wants some curious white jerk interrupting their church service?