I envy those who make art installations for a living

I live in Philadelphia. I love sculpture and art installations, but suck at finding them when they happen. Help me find RSS feeds or email services that'll tell me when cool art-type things happen nearby me!

I'm not nearly patient enough to sift through a glut of emails or feeds if only one message out of a hundred involves locations I'd be interested in, so the more specific the updates are to my area, the better.
posted by Rory Marinich to Society & Culture (6 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Light googling lead me to uwishunu.

These sites always have such unfortunate names, and while it's not *exactly* what you're looking for if you find something you like you can ask the organizer of the particular event about other events they're planning.
posted by troika at 6:59 AM on June 14, 2012

Here's philebrity's art listings. Hello fellow Philadelphian!
posted by Katine at 7:17 AM on June 14, 2012

This isn't exactly what you want either but PhillyFunguide has a visual arts listing. It also has an advanced search where you can limit by neighborhood.
posted by interplanetjanet at 7:57 AM on June 14, 2012

Just wanted to mention (though you probably know already) that the Philadelphia Art Museum is free on the first Sunday of every month. They frequently have some cool exhibits/installations up in the main museum and the Annex that go way beyond Classics and ancient stoneware. Right now they have a Rockwell Kent exhibit and a Ralph Eugene Meatyard exhibit. Both are worth seeing if you're into that kind of thing.
posted by Katine at 9:32 AM on June 14, 2012

I did not know! I was thinking installations more in the sense of installation pieces, not painting installations – is that the sort they have? Yay Philadelphians!
posted by Rory Marinich at 9:58 AM on June 14, 2012

They have all kinds of stuff! A couple years ago I went to see this sound installation and recently they had this Data Garden exhibit/thing. So yeah! They sometimes have awesome installations roll through and at the price of FREE why not check them out.
posted by Katine at 1:39 PM on June 14, 2012

« Older A few years ago, I spent three...   |  Do the new mid 2012, non-Retin... Newer »