June 13, 2012 5:00 PM Subscribe
Paranonia or ID theft? How do I find out, who to report it to? Details inside.
posted by misspat to Law & Government (13 answers total)
I have an unusual first name, I am past 50 and have never met another person with this old fashioned name. I have always used a nickname except when legally neccessary. No one with my name is listed in the local phone book. I have lived in this small rural community for 15 years and have not met anyone with my name nor anyone who knows of someone with the same name.
A year or so ago I recieved a letter, by mail, that appeared to be from my insurance co. They said that my medical and personal info had been compromised. They offered X yrs of free ID protection with Debix, which is now All Clear ID Alert Network. It appears to be legit. On 6/1/12 an e-mail report came saying all is well.
Here is the list of things that are causing me concern, individually I would just blow them off but the list is growing and I don't believe in coincidences:
1. Few years back I called the electric co and they asked which account I was calling about, insisting I owned 2 properties. I don't.
2. A few years ago I picked up a prescription and the pharmicist called me by my full name, but used the wrong middle name. When I corrected him he snatched the bag out of my hand and gave a another one with the correct name.
3. A local stockbroker recently left me a message saying they could squeeze me in for an emergency appointment. I know nothing of stocks & bonds, absolutely nothing. But I do have an elderly friend who is
missing a very large amount of money that was in stocks & bonds. She now lives with a daughter who is accusing me and the ladies other friends of scamming her. But none of us even knew she had more than a Social Security check. I did call the stockbroker and they said it must have been a misdialed numberband were not forthcoming about this other person with my name.
4. Today I learned that my ATM/Debit card expired in April. The bank has always mailed the new one, that then it had to be activated. Only I bring in the mail, I live alone, it never arrived.
5. Over the last, year my personal & work computer accounts have been repeatedly hacked. Stuff like changing my passwords, putting false info on facebook, etc. My business is not conducted on line, no payments or anything with personal info, so no problem there.
6. In the late 70's my ID was stolen and used by a non-caucasion criminal. I am caucasion, non-criminal.
7. I do have an enemy who has caused me a lot of grief for years.. She is not mentally stable and has spent an incredible amount of time, money & energy trying to cause me trouble with everyone from the government to the grocer.
8. I live in a small rural community, with an astoundingly corrupt government and I really do not want anything to do with the sheriffs dept.
I will call the bank in the morning. What else should I do? If I report it to the authorities, who do I call? We only have the sherriff, see #7 and the state police to cover the county.
I googled the name and got a mere 38 results, none of them applicable.
Should I dig a bit more online? If so can you reccommend a site?