What's the best way to get a large package delivered to my apartment?
June 12, 2012 5:06 PM Subscribe
I live in NYC and can't really have packages delivered to my apartment. Suppose I order a large package - what's the best way to get it home?
posted by gchucky to home & garden (36 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite
For the life of me, I can't come up with a better solution, so I thought I'd ask you excellent people: how do people who live in apartments and work all day receive large packages?
I just had to carry yet another heavy package through the subway that I had delivered to me at work, but that solution doesn't always work. Suppose I want to order stereo equipment, or a TV, or a small wine fridge, or anything like that. How would I get it home?
- I work all day, so I can't have it delivered to my apartment.
- My building does NOT have a doorman.
- I have a car (if necessary)
Things I've come up with, and why they don't work:
- Mailboxes Etc. There are only two in the metro NYC area, and neither is anywhere near my apartment.
- Ask UPS/Fedex to hold it until I can get it. Both services are notoriously horrible at delivery in my area. Sometimes they deliver at 2 PM, and sometimes at 6. Other times they don't even leave a note on the door saying they attempted delivery.
- Ask a neighbor. No one in my building really talks to each other, and I don't know any of my neighbors well enough.
- Have it delivered to a nearby bodega. I'm sorry, I'm not leaving $500+ of stuff I bought to the local bodega.
I just can't come up with a good solution. MeFites (or New Yorkers), what are your solutions?