Vegan Gluten free Ensure?

Is there a vegan, gluten-free equivalent to Ensure? If not, what would be a close recipe?
posted by jitterbug perfume to Food & Drink (10 answers total)

30-second smoothie
posted by Blazecock Pileon at 4:16 PM on June 12, 2012

Vega One is gluten free
posted by Nickel Pickle at 4:27 PM on June 12, 2012 [2 favorites]

"Recipients are either individuals unable to eat or experiencing undesirable weight loss, through age, infirmity or disease, or individuals like captives who are on a hunger strike, who are undergoing involuntary force-feeding."

I need it for reasons like this. It needs to be Ensure-like. Can't be a bunch of fruit and vegetable powder although that stuff is great. Thanks.
posted by jitterbug perfume at 5:03 PM on June 12, 2012

That may work, Blazecock Pileon.
posted by jitterbug perfume at 5:09 PM on June 12, 2012

There isn't a premade vegan oral nutritional supplement available in the US, as far as I know (and I have looked in the past, and a quick Google suggests that other people are looking). Nutricia products (available in the UK and Ireland) would fit the bill, apparently, but they don't do consumer ordering as far as I can tell. You could mix something like Vega One with the soy/almond/rice milk of your choice very easily (in less than 30 seconds).
posted by Sidhedevil at 5:14 PM on June 12, 2012

If it's caloric intake you're looking for, you could try experimenting with smoothies made with avocados, a bit of fruit (to make it tastier) and some plant-based protein powder so that there's lots of healthy fats and protein in the drink.
posted by burntflowers at 5:35 PM on June 12, 2012

If the 30-second smoothie looks good, I would also add some coconut oil to increase calories and healthy fat.
posted by Ochre,Hugh at 5:41 PM on June 12, 2012

"Boost Plus" from Nestle lists "Gluten Free" and "Lactose Free", but also lists "Milk Protein Concentrate" as one ingredient.
posted by caclwmr4 at 1:20 AM on June 13, 2012

On the food blog Anger Burger, she once came up with a recipe that I think sounds about right. I linked to the post in case you wanted some context, but the recipe itself is:

1 14oz. can of coconut milk
3 cups of milk (cow, soy, almond, as long as its full-fat)
7 heaping tablespoons of NutriBiotic Rice Protein powder
honey to taste

I would read the ingredients of the rice protein powder to be sure that it's gluten free, and you could substitute sugar for the honey.
posted by to recite so charmingly at 8:10 AM on June 13, 2012

For a good vegan base to mix in stuff, I'd highly recommend hemp milk, especially the Living Harvest brand which tastes the best. It's vegan, gluten free, healthy- high in good fats and high in protein, calcium and vitamin D. Also hemp milk is a naturally complete source of protein/amino acids.

Also, I'd suggest mixing in coconut milk (canned kind) or an avocado to boost the healthy fats even more and make it a healthy high-calorie drink.

Personally, I'm recovering from undesirable weight loss myself, and hemp milk has been a huge help, ever since I found out I was allergic to milk/eggs/soy/wheat/nuts and had to change a lot of what I eat.
posted by Aliera at 8:42 PM on June 13, 2012

« Older Can you recommend a more right...   |  My brake pedal sinks when I tu... Newer »