iPad or Air?
June 12, 2012 5:42 AM Subscribe
Air or iPad?
posted by RandlePatrickMcMurphy to computers & internet (24 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Trying to decide. Considerations:
- I travel a lot so weight and carry-ability are major considerations. I pad seems to win here. Not only is the device itself smaller but it doesn't have the (admittedly pretty well designed) "brick".
- I type a lot and not a fan of the onscreen keyboard, so an external keypad will be a requirement for an iPad. This reduces the weight and carryability advantage. Also, since most of the keyboards I've seen are separate units, it seems like that would be awkward typing in a cramped coach seat.
- On the other hand, iPad battery life better. Almost double, essentially.
- Also, reading is easier on iPad, which would eliminate the need for a Kindle.
- And, there's all those apps for the iPad.
- However, internal storage is more limited on the iPad, and if I understand correctly even with external harddrive you can move files from iPad to external but not external to iPad. That really bugs me. (sidebar explanations for the rationale for this welcome)
- Video usage will be minimal, but I do have and manipulate still photos a fair amount. Gaming also minimal.
- At home, it'd be nice to have something to plug into a stereo receiver and easily play music.
- iPads about $700 cheaper, which is not inconsequential right now.
- If I go iPad, it will be without the data plan.
- Bonus: how much better is that retina display, really? I wasn't as blown away as I thought I'd be at the Apple Store.