I'm currently renting a house in North Carolina and the landlord has decided to try to sell it. What are my rights regarding showings, and what is my best course of action to try to fix this situation?
I've been renting the place for the past 4 months, and a couple weeks ago I was informed the landlord was considering trying to sell it. Since then I've had a total of two visits from her realtor and a total of seven showings at hours from 9:30AM to 7PM, on weekdays and weekends
Also one person came by unexpectedly without having booked a showing, during a conference call (I work from home), and one of the realtors ran over a couple of my pots of tomato plants (then handed me $10 and ran away)
Basically this is all incredibly disruptive and unwanted, and seems unreasonable given that I'm still a current tenant and the landlord wishes me to continue to be one in the case the house doesn't sell
The relevant passage from the lease seems to be the following:
Right of Entry: Landlord hereby reserves the right to enter the Premises during reasonable hours for the purpose of (1) inspecting the Premises and the Tenant's compliance with the terms of this lease; (2) making such repairs, alterations, improvements or additions thereto as the Landlord may deem appropriate; and (3) showing the Premises to prospective purchasers or tenants. Landlord shall also have the right to display "For Sale" or "For Rent" signs in a reasonable manner upon the Premises.
and from a quick googling around, it seems like there's a common law "covenant of quiet enjoyment" which would (however the heck it's understood by North Carolina courts) decide my rights regarding the situation, but it seems like most courts take "reasonableness" into consideration
My thought is essentially I could say (to the property management company/landlord) that I will be:
a) turning down requests for showings outside some pre-agreed reasonable block of time (e.g. saturday afternoons)
b) if the property is not taken off the market, I'll be exiting the lease as soon as possible, which would be end of July w/ 30 days notice
c) wanting to update the lease to specify that the house cannot be offered for sale/rent as long as the lease remains current
Any thoughts as to whether this is legal/a good idea/etc, and whether it'd make more sense to call today or wait to give them less time (to rent it out again? I'm not sure this makes sense) given that I'd prefer to simply stay in the house (without a danger of it being sold out from under me) if possible
Possibly relevant information: I have fairly good reason to believe that the asking price for the sale is at least $20k too high, and that the rental price is also relatively high and the house sat unoccupied for ~18 months before because of the owner's unwillingness to budge on price