Can anyone help me decide on a location in Bar Harbor Maine?

I would like a second home in Bar Harbor Maine. Does anyone have any knowledge in terms of were the best place to live is? Any information would be greatfully helpful. I live on the west coast of Florida and have lived here for close to 9 years. I'm so tired of the heat!

Does anyone have any knowledge in terms of where the best place in Bar Harbor is to live?Any information you have would be greatfully helpful. I live on the west coast of Florida and have lived here for close to 9 years. I'm so tired of the heat !
posted by brittaincrowe to Home & Garden (6 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Have you visited there at all? It might help to know why you are looking at Bar Harbor as opposed to other Maine communities.
posted by Miko at 7:50 PM on June 4, 2012

What do you mean by best? What are your criteria?
posted by J. Wilson at 9:00 PM on June 4, 2012

Bar Harbor is a tiny town (about 5000 residents). If you haven't visited, you'd be much better off doing that than soliciting advice from the Internet. Because Acadia National Park is on Mount Desert Island, the town is overrun with tourists in the summer and pretty quiet the rest of the year. Is that what you want? If not you might consider somewhere like Machias, which will be calmer in the summer, potentially more interesting in the winter, and cheaper.
posted by brianogilvie at 12:51 AM on June 5, 2012 [3 favorites]

Yeah you need to visit it in the summer to get a taste of it. It's a huge destination in Maine and sees a ton of tourists. If you want peaceful quiet New England harbor town then Bar Harbor is not it, at least not in the summer.

I would suggest one of the smaller towns further north or further south. Though a lot of towns understandably see an increase in tourists in the summer, they are usually not nearly as crowded as Bar Harbor.
posted by WickedPissah at 7:00 AM on June 5, 2012

brittaincrowe: check your MeFi mail.
posted by mikeg at 7:27 AM on June 5, 2012

I am fairly familiar with Bar Harbor/Acadia...
What are you looking for in a house?
Do you want ocean views? Solitude? Will this be something you rent out? Do you want to be able to access it during the winters? How much time will you be spending there? How many bedrooms? What is your price range... (Bar Harbor is pretty pricey!)
posted by LittleMy at 8:07 AM on June 5, 2012 [1 favorite]

« Older iPad 2 apps for 86yo grandmoth...   |  What kinds of volunteer work c... Newer »