Engagement ring styles for large fingers that may shrink?
June 3, 2012 5:26 PM Subscribe
What style(s) engagement ring should I get if I intend to size it down (potentially significantly) in the future? Any tips on where to buy larger than standard size rings? Bonus points if they sell non-conflict diamonds or similarly pretty stones at reasonable prices.
posted by ilikemethisway to clothing, beauty, & fashion (13 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
Maybe he just wants people to stop asking how long we've been married (if they don't know us) or when we're finally getting married (if they do)... but after nearly three years of dating and one year of joint home ownership, the Mr. and I are in the beginning stages of wedding planning for next summer. But before we get too far, we're looking for an appropriately pretty ring that fits me now and will fit me in the future. Thing is, my current ring size is about a 10, which is a larger than standard size (i.e. larger than many websites sell). As I'm losing weight, I'd like a ring style that will be re-sizable down the line — potentially significantly smaller (if I'm really successful!). Has anyone done this? What snags did you run into? Any jewelry experts know if particular styles lend themselves to this, or on the other hand, what styles we should avoid.
Second, related question: Where do we shop? We live in Indianapolis and haven't yet explored the many jewelry stores here because it's sort of intimidating and we'd like to know more first. Many websites' ring sizes top out at 8 or sometimes 9. I've thought about just telling him to buy 9 and I'll wait to wear it when it fits, but that loses some of the initial fun. ;) Otherwise, our options are pretty limited. We also want to avoid conflict diamonds. I'm totally open to lab-grown diamonds or even moissanite, but can only find a handful of places that sell them in my size/price. We're trying to keep the engagement ring under $1K. (We're both practical people and even that is a lot to spend on a ring, even if I'll wear it daily the rest of my life.)
A few extra thoughts:
• After browsing online, I'm leaning toward three-stone styles or one stone with small stones beside it, but I wonder how resizing would affect those multiple settings?
• I'm assuming any kind of band engraving/band of diamonds would be a no-no from a resizing standpoint? I like the look though. Anyone tried this?
• I have kind of fat fingers (see ring size). So styles that make a not ginormous stone look not tiny would be good.
• I'm not a big fan of the plain band solitaire tiffany-style setting, as I'd worry about it catching on everything or scratching me. I'm OK with the solitaire when it's more flush with the band or if there's a curve or some interesting accent leading into it.
• I like the three-stone look, but really dislike the look of multiple small stones to comprise what is typically the center stone. I also dislike the halo style with metal or small stones circling the main stone.
Feel free to tack on general engagement ring buying advice. I'm sure he'll appreciate it.