Join 3,497 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

I'm looking for sound.
June 2, 2012 2:17 PM   Subscribe

Tell me about sound effects for games. I'm designing the specifications for a mobile app, which will be a game. I need sound effects, preferably royalty-free, to accompany the game.

Ideally I would like to be able to present my programmer with a couple of sound files to be used, rather than rely on him to find or create them.

What resources are there out there for royalty-free sound effects files?

Note: I am happy to pay for content here; I am not necessarily looking for something that is free.

Thanks.
posted by dfriedman to Computers & Internet (4 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite

I'd also be interested in learning about any software (mac or Windows) that can be used to create sound effects.
posted by dfriedman at 2:26 PM on June 2, 2012

freesound.org has a good selection of Creative Commons and public domain sound effect files. Audacity is a good audio editor with both a Windows and OS X version.
posted by contraption at 2:42 PM on June 2, 2012

Bfxr is popular if you want to synthesize your own effects. Mostly old soundchip aesthetic. There's newer versions of the same generator program idea, too.
posted by Nelson at 4:15 PM on June 2, 2012 [1 favorite]

These are great resources, thanks.
posted by dfriedman at 10:25 AM on June 3, 2012

« Older How do I find work as an illus...   |  Ants, scurrying rodents - what... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.