How to un-have a crush on a coworker?
June 1, 2012 3:43 PM Subscribe
I have a crush on my coworker. And an awesome partner who I am crazy about. How do I get rid of the crush? A few special snowflake details inside.
posted by anonymous to Human Relations (13 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
I work at a small company (8 people or so) with Bob.
Bob and I have lots of common interests get along really well and I was excited about having a cool new friend who I can have awesome conversations about. We sometimes eat lunch together and generally chat a lot.
Last week or so I found out I have a crush on Bob. (there were these FEELINGS like ooh he wants to eat lunch with me how EXCITING). Some facts:
- Bob has an awesome girlfriend who he is in a long-term stable relationship with
- I have an awesome boyfriend ("Steve") who I am very happy with.
- Bob and I talk about our partners pretty often (Ellen is super good at X! Cool, Steve is so awesome at X too and I don't understand how he does it at all!), pretty much invariably in positive or joking-but-loving ways.
- In 4 months, I will no longer work with Bob
- I previously had a crush on another coworker for a few weeks, until he left the company and I never gave him a second thought. That was okay!
I feel like this crush is becoming DRAMA in my head and I don't want it to be drama! My ideal situation is that I could un-have a crush on Bob and then I could have him and Ellen over for dinner with me and Steve sometimes and we could have awesome times. How can I accomplish this? I am thinking of telling Steve about it to try to de-escalate the situation, but I'm worried that it'll worry him (I talk to him every so often about how happy I am to work with Bob and how great I think Bob is). Bob and Steve have met and get along really well. Which is awesome!