Join 3,512 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

I've wondered where home is. It's when I was in Indianapolis when I was nine years old. Had a dog, a cat, a brother, a sister.
May 26, 2012 3:16 PM   Subscribe

Inspired by this thread, from which I got Dan Mangan's Basket, and Chocolate Genius' My Mom. I'm composing a playlist as a mediation on my parents, and I wondered what other songs others thought of when they thought of Mom and Dad.
posted by oflinkey to Media & Arts (15 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Comma after My Mom. Sorry.
posted by oflinkey at 3:17 PM on May 26, 2012

Paul Simon's Father and Daughter

Malcolm Daglish - Little Potato - someone linked to it in another playlist thread, somewhere.

If your folks are religious, there's always "Daddy Sang Bass" and "If I could hear my mother pray again".
posted by bunderful at 3:35 PM on May 26, 2012

This is answering backwards, but I've mentally kept a list of beautiful songs that have been written for the artist's child. When I hear them I relate them to my parents in a hypothetical way, how they maybe felt when I was born before things got harder ;) , but I relate to them more as a parent myself.

(slightly obviously) John Lennon - Beautiful Boy
Lightning Seeds - Life of Riley
Barenaked Ladies - When You Dream
posted by artifarce at 3:48 PM on May 26, 2012

"Daddy's Tune" Jackson Browne
"JCB Song" By Nizlopi
posted by NoraCharles at 3:48 PM on May 26, 2012

There's only one for me. R.E.M. Sweetness Follows

"It's these little things, they can pull you under."
posted by vers at 3:56 PM on May 26, 2012

Talking Heads' great "Pulled Up" could be interpreted as a thank-you note to David Byrne's parents. (lyrics)
posted by lisa g at 4:09 PM on May 26, 2012

"Good Mother" by Jann Arden
posted by peagood at 4:16 PM on May 26, 2012

My mom always sang Helen Reddy's You and Me Against the World to me as a small girl in the 70s.

Erf. Something's in my eye. I ... I should call Mom.
posted by ladygypsy at 4:17 PM on May 26, 2012

I gave my mom the Divine Comedy album with Mother Dear on it because I thought she'd like it, and turns out I was right.
posted by kendrak at 4:21 PM on May 26, 2012

Drive-By Truckers, Daddy Needs A Drink
posted by BitterOldPunk at 5:14 PM on May 26, 2012

Great Big Sea's "A Boat Like Gideon Brown" always makes me think of my dad and cry, for all that my dad's not dead, we're not Canadian, and neither of us has ever wanted a boat.

If I were you, I'd also include some my parents' favorite songs, especially the ones we've listened to and enjoyed together. For instance, Paul Simon's "Graceland" always makes me think of my mom... which makes no particular sense if you listen to the lyrics, but means the world to the two of us.
posted by Agamede at 6:16 PM on May 26, 2012

Child's Song by Murray McLauchlan
posted by bricoleur at 6:33 PM on May 26, 2012

Though I actually prefer David Bromberg's cover.
posted by bricoleur at 6:35 PM on May 26, 2012

Poe - If You Were Here 
(lyrics). I cannot actually think about this song in relation to my (not dead) dad or I will start bawling and have to go hug him.

Rufus Wainwright - Dinner at Eight (lyrics)
posted by nicebookrack at 6:41 PM on May 26, 2012

How about a little Queen?
Leaving Home Ain't Easy
Loser in the End
posted by monospace at 10:13 PM on May 27, 2012

« Older My store has three locations. ...   |  Help me with games/activities ... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.