How can I, a dropout, get academic counseling at CSULB?

CSULB insiders - help this dropout get academic counseling at CSU Long Beach...

This is a shout-out to anyone familiar with CSULB's bureaucracy - I've googled, tried CSUmentor.edu, and called all kinds of numbers to no avail. I need some insider stuff, if anyone's got experience.

I dropped out of the art department's BA program 10 years ago. I'd like to finish up my degree - I'm probably only a few credits short, but that's hard to figure out without some help from an academic counselor. The bureaucracy runaround's result is: reapply, and then you can get counseling. Reapplying seems like an iffy proposition if I don't know what I need to do to graduate, though!

I would think the university would be happy to see someone graduate after taking just a class or two, but I can't figure out who to talk to. I've dealt with phone-lackeys (no judgment, I've been a phone-lackey) at the art department, the admissions office, and the enrollment office so far, but none of them will pass me on to someone higher.

Any insiders want to help?
posted by snoe to Education (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Just because you didn't list them... I assume you tried the people in the Art Advising Office? The keyword you're looking for is "Advising", not "Counseling", if that's stymieing your search efforts.
posted by brainmouse at 4:55 PM on May 23, 2012

Wow, this sounds familiar. I dropped out of the CSULB Art department about 10 years ago, too, and I, too, am just a few credits shy of graduation. I looked into going back and finishing a couple years ago after I'd been unemployed for an extended period of time, and I actually found that they have a really good adult re-entry workshop that's free and will help you get answers to most of your questions. Here's a link to some info about it: CSULB Adult Re-entry Services

Make sure you bring all the transcripts and information you need. You won't get to talk to a counselor there, but if I recall correctly they can help you get in to see one. I went to the workshop and it was really helpful, but I didn't follow through with it, because before the semester started, I got an awesome job offer. Taking that job was the right thing for me right then, but part of me wishes I'd gone ahead and finished.

posted by smoq at 4:56 PM on May 23, 2012

How about Adult Re-Entry Services?
posted by Sweetie Darling at 4:57 PM on May 23, 2012

Many thanks, y'all. Re-entry services looks like the way to go... and if not, I'll try the Art Advising Office! For some reason, bureaucracy stymies me!
posted by snoe at 5:30 PM on May 23, 2012

Universities are really good at naming stuff using the ultimate inside-baseball terminology and then acting incredulous that you couldn't use your powers of deduction to figure it out. Good luck!
posted by Sweetie Darling at 7:36 PM on May 23, 2012 [1 favorite]

Sweetie Darling is totally right - the nomenclature was my big obstacle (that, and the unhelpfulness of the phone jockeys at the various departments - not to deny love to phone jockeys everywhere, but, c'mon, guys, help a brother out). Adult Re-entry Services has workshops several times a year, and I'll be going to the next one in a couple weeks, where, with luck, a real human will be able to help me out. Thanks again, everyone!

I will revisit this question if I get any info that'll help other folks who google it.
posted by snoe at 4:34 PM on May 25, 2012

Just a heads up that the Adult Re-entry workshop was very helpful, if anyone is stumbling upon this question in future.

California's budget issues mean that only admitted students can get actual academic counseling, but I got help figuring out that I am potentially eligible for readmission and help applying. (Wish me luck with that.)

I'm a lucky one there, because the budget issues have led to a real tightening of readmission standards for all classes of students at CSU.

Thanks for the advice, one last time!
posted by snoe at 2:12 PM on June 16, 2012

« Older Looking for wrapped cough drop...   |  In need of PODCAST 101 - How a... Newer »