Yoga in the beach - recommendations and tips please.
May 22, 2012 7:59 PM Subscribe
Yoga on the beach: looking for routines/workouts to follow... And any tips/tricks.
posted by cheemee to sports, hobbies, & recreation (4 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
I've been doing yoga for a little while and I really enjoy it. I mostly enjoy the physical aspect of it, don't rally get anything out of the spiritual part of it.
I'm going on a beach vacation next week and would love to do some yoga on the beach. But I am used to going to the studio with an instructor saying what to do. Left on my own, I would probably just go 'ok, what next?'
The beach I'm going to is NOT a white sand beach, and some reviews on the resort comment that it can be hard to walk barefooted on the beach, not sure if that's due to heat or rockiness. I also read somewhere that beach yoga can be especially hard on the wrists, so may not want to do so many poses on the hands (eg. downward dog)
So I'm looking for recommendations for either audio files I can put on my iPod or maybe a book? I don't mind paying some amout, but would like the following criteria:
- mixture of workout tyope routines and relaxing type routines
- few/no poses on the hands
- somewhere between beginner and intermediate level
- I've mostly been doing hatha so that's what i'm most familiar with, but open to other types. Not a fan of yin though.
- preferably little/minimal woo-woo... Though this is not too important. I wouldn't mind it at all, if your recommendation otherwise works well.
And if I go the iPod route, would you recommend just strapped on to my arm, or is there a better way to do it that minimizes entanglements with the earbud wires?
Also, any tips/tricks for doing yoga on the beach that someone who's only done indoor yoga might want to know?