Coping strategies and help from-a-distance for a small family stretched thin by a few curveballs?
May 22, 2012 2:39 PM Subscribe
What can I do from afar for a bedridden SAHM of an 18mo, and in general for their stressed-out family? Looking for anything and everything---advice, care basket ideas, childcare options, cleaning services, etc.---in the Echo Park/Silverlake/Los Feliz area of Los Angeles.
posted by cocoagirl to Grab Bag (15 answers total)
Two weeks ago my pregnant sister-in-law was put on bedrest for the next 3 months to help carry to term. She has been the full-time stay-at-home parent for her 18mo son. My brother is "out of commission" in his own way: working full time, commuting, house-hunting, and now the household responsibilities my SIL can no longer do. I'd love to do a number of things for them, but I'm on the East Coast, along with their other relatives. Specifically:
- Leads on local meal prep or food delivery options? They eat all kinds of foods and loads of ethnic cuisines, but I'd like to do something more regular and healthy than weeks of take-out.
-Suggestions for easing the change for the 18mo? The care-givers where he's been for the last week say he's been withdrawn or despondent all day (8hrs) when he's there, and have gently suggested it's too abrupt or not a good fit. He's also been rejecting or ignoring his Dad at pick-up time. (Psych 101 tells me this may be normal, but it is very hard on them all.) Ideas? He's generally a very engaged, active kid but is used to a lot of direct attention from Mom and Dad.
- Or places to look for mother's helpers and/or nannies? Right now I'm trawling SitterCity.com for them, but if there are other local options, that would be helpful.
- Recommendations for economical weekly cleaning service? Are Yelp and/or Angie's List active/dependable/practical in LA?
- Low-energy ways to maintain the bond between the 18mo and Mom & Dad during this time? I've suggested going back to co-sleeping as long as everybody can get enough sleep, and 15-20 minutes of exclusive, fun activity with Mom in bed when the 18mo gets home. Other ideas?
- Items for care basket for my SIL? She's a reader, musician, has her finger on the cultural pulse, and misses her son very much. I've been pregnant but not bedridden. What would help? (I see a number of previous questions about bedrest, so I'll go read those too.)
- Other words of wisdom?
Muchas gracias aMEFIgos!!