Feels bad, man
May 20, 2012 7:35 PM Subscribe
My spouse is under some pretty severe work stress, and has recently come to realize that he might be depressed. Appointments with a therapist and a GP will be booked this week, but in the meantime I'm looking for other resources and support ideas. Depressed mefites, what are some amazing things that people have done to help you? What are some things you've wished you had someone around to do for you?
posted by anonymous to health & fitness (22 answers total) 28 users marked this as a favorite
Spouse is a Ph.D. student, so the work stress is project-based but the project is enormous and daunting.
Here's some stuff we're already trying to do:
- Healthy meals at regular times
- Regular sleep schedule
- Regular fun activities with friends outside the house
- Attempting to distinguish work time from non-work time (we both work at home, and it's pretty easy for work to accidentally continue until bedtime!)
- Physical activity (all the brisk walks!)
- I take care of as many of the errands that stress him out as I can—groceries, apartment-tidying, correspondence-handling, recycling-sorting, etc.
I also have mental health challenges and am sympathetic, but mine are anxiety-related and my coping strategies involve disrupting anxiety spirals with distractions to restore equilibrium. Spouse is in a position where his default state is miserable, so my strategies don't really work, and I am running short of ideas.