Should I Go On This Job Interview Or Not?
May 13, 2012 3:40 PM Subscribe
I have a job interview tomorrow for a job I'm not really interested in. I currently have a job, but it's a contract position with no guarantee of going permanent, so I've still been applying to other jobs and I feel it is irresponsible and ungrateful for me to not go through with this job interview tomorrow. However, the more I think about it, the more upset I get, because I am not sure I would take the job if it were offered to me, even though it would be a permanent position. I'm not even really sure I'm thinking straight anymore. I could use some perspective and/or wisdom and/or advice.
posted by thereemix to work & money (20 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
I will try to keep this brief:
My career background is in Industry A, and I like working in Industry A a lot. I was laid off from my last job in January and was lucky enough to score another position in less than a month. This new position is a contract position that is tangentially related to Industry A (but not quite *in* Industry A). The job function is the same as my last job (and the job before that). This contract job is with a very, very prestigious company. It looks nice on my resume.
As a result of prestigious company being on my resume/LinkedIn, a recruiter from another company contacted me about a similar job at their company - another well known but slightly less prestigious company. This company is in Industry B. Industry B is not even remotely similar to Industry A. The company that is trying to recruit me does interesting work, but generally I am not that enthusiastic about it. However, since I am still technically looking for work since there's no guarantee that my current contract job will go permanent, and since I was a bit curious, I chatted with the recruiter and had a phone interview. They asked me the "what salary range are you thinking of" question during the phone interview. Normally I would deal with that question very carefully, but since I was just sort of playing along I threw out a number that is way, way over what I currently make.
Apparently it didn't faze them, because now they want me to interview with them on site tomorrow. This terrifies me. I agreed, but I have been having second thoughts about it ever since.
My dilemma is as follows:
*I don't want to work in Industry B. The contract position I am in is already a bit of a tangent to my career path in Industry A thus far, but I am able to spin it and make it seem like it's in Industry A. I feel like it is dishonest of me to pursue this job in Industry B when I likely wouldn't take it were it offered to me.
*BUT my current contract position is only till October, with the potential but no guarantee of going permanent. It feels irresponsible for me to not follow through with interviewing for the Industry B job when nothing is certain and the economy is as crappy as it is.
*BUT BUT my current contract position is a really good one, and having the prestigious company name in my resume is a really good thing and sets me up to be in a good place come October when I will need to really start looking after this contract is up. I like the people I work with and I want to make sure that I will have good references. It seems to me like it would be stupid to walk away from a situation like this UNLESS it was for an amazing opportunity in my chosen industry, Industry A. I don't want to burn a bridge this important for a job I'm not that excited about in a completely different industry that I don't really care about, just because it is a permanent job.
*If I go in this interview tomorrow for the Industry B job, I have to take the morning off from work. Because I am a contractor, I'm essentially forfeiting half a days' pay for an interview for a job I don't even want.
*But maybe I should suck it up and go, just to satisfy my curiosity (would they really make me an offer with a salary as high as I quoted?). It's also good practice for future interviews. Also, at this point, wouldn't it be really unprofessional for me to call tomorrow and say "Sorry, I don't want to interview anymore?" How does one do that?
I really honestly don't know what to do, and the more I think about it the more worked up and upset I get. I feel like I should go on the interview because one shouldn't turn down interviews in this economy, but I also feel so strongly that I do NOT want to work in Industry B that this whole process is a big giant waste of my time (not to mention the time of the folks at the Industry B company). But I am freezing up and can't make a decision either way. Please help. I keep going round and round in circles and can't stop.